12 January 2006

Dumb football players?

I am not a huge football fan, but I enjoy the game with friends as much as anyone else. I have also known several professional football players and believe that in many cases the label often applied to them as all being "dumb jocks" is often unfairly applied. Good players need to think their way around the field in order to be successful against myriad offensive and defensive schemes. However, Joey Porter of the Pittsburgh Steelers isn't helping their cause. In an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (the article is posted here), he's asked about the Indianapolis Colts (another NFL team) and this is what he had to say:

"They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football. They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you. ... They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

Joey Porter got paid $ 2,751,600 in 2004. I'd like to think that someone that makes that kind of money should have to think, at least a little. I know this isn't representative of all football players, so step down from your soapbox right now, please. I guess the thing that bothers me most is that Joey seems to think that being smart isn't a good thing. To him, using your brain is a waste of time and something, it seems, to be made fun of.

1 Comments:

Blogger Schtacky said...

Update: it looks like Joey might have been correct on this one. Indy couldn't play straight up with the Steelers and lost the game. I stand corrected - I guess that dumb football players know the extent to which they need to use their brains in order to be successful. Just play football, dummy.

January 17, 2006 at 1:57:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home